The Sync Wizard will guide you through the process of creating a synchronized copy of your files to protect you from local hard drive failure. You can synchronize your local folders with a network drive, remote computer, or external hard drive. You can name the synchronization, specify the actions you want to take each time you synchronize your files, schedule the synchronization to run at specific intervals, and edit or remove the synchronization at a later time.
The Sync Wizard does not retain database information when your files are copied to a new location. To back up files with database information, use the ACD Database Backup Wizard.
To create a synchronization:
- In Manage mode, click File | Sync | Create Sync.
- On the Welcome page, click the Next button when you are ready to continue.
- On the Synchronization Options page, do the following:
- In the Source folder field, specify the folder containing files you would like to copy.
- In the Backup destination field, specify a folder on a network drive, remote computer, or external hard drive in which to place the backup files.
- In the Options area, specify how Sync should handle errors and logs.
- In the Confirmations area, specify how Sync should handle file duplication conflicts.
- Click Next when you are ready to continue.
- On the Synchronization Schedule page, do the following:
- In the Name text box, type a name for your synchronization.
- In the Schedule area, specify whether you would like to run the synchronization immediately, or schedule the synchronization.
- Click Finish when you are ready to complete the wizard.
Schedule: An account with no password cannot set up a schedule. You must set a password for your account for schedules to work. A blank password will not work; you must have a real password with more than one character.
You can adjust the settings of a synchronization, schedule it to run at regular intervals, or delete the synchronization from ACDSee 12.
To update or delete a saved synchronization:
- In Manage mode, click File | Sync | Edit Sync.
- In the Saved Synchronizations dialog box, select a synchronization from the list.
- Do one of the following:
- To schedule the synchronization, click Schedule. Specify how often to run your synchronization, and then click OK.
- To adjust the settings, click Edit. In the Edit Synchronizations dialog box, update the folder containing files you would like to copy, and a folder on a network drive, remote computer, or external hard drive in which to place those files. In the Options area, update how Sync should handle errors and logs. In the Confirmations area, update how Sync should handle file duplication conflicts. Click OK when you are finished.
- To rename the synchronization, click Rename. Type a new name for the synchronization and click OK.
- To delete the synchronization, click Delete.
- Click Close.
Running a saved synchronization
After you create a synchronization, you can run it at any time, even if it is scheduled to run at regular intervals.
To run a saved synchronization:
In Manage mode, click File | Sync, and then select the name of the synchronization you want to run.